Farmingdale State College, SUNY was founded in 1912. The founding of the College was originally proposed by State Assemblyman John Lupton in 1909. Lupton Hall, which houses the departments of Chemistry and Physics as well the School of Engineering Technology, now bears his name.
Two of the oldest buildings on campus are Hicks Hall and Cutler Hall, which were constructed in 1914 and were originally called the Horticulture and Agronomy Buildings, respectively. The buildings house four oil on canvas murals, painted in 1936 by local artists Frederick Marshall and C. E. Lessing as a part of the Works Progress Administration. The murals depict agricultural scenes, including wheat-threshing, rice harvesting, and cotton picking.
Ward Hall, also constructed in 1914, was the original dormitory and now houses College offices, including Alumni Relations and Business Outreach. When the College first admitted students in March 1916, Ward Hall was not yet completed. Students slept instead in temporary quarters on the upper level of Conklin Hall, which was then the physical plant.
Later historical buildings include Knapp Hall, completed in 1937, and Thompson Hall, competed in 1938, which were each built in the Georgian Colonial style.
Theodore Roosevelt Jr. delivered the address at the College’s second commencement exercises on May 26, 1920.
A Memorial Oak was planted on June 4, 1921 to honor American soldiers killed in World War I. The Oak was planted in soil collected from all 48 states as well as from the allied nations from the war. A plaque gifted by the Class of 1927 rests at the base of the oak and reads:
“This Oak, Planted June 4, 1921, Commemorates The Efforts, Sacrifices And Achievements Of All Americans Who Gave Their Lives In The World War.
“Its Roots Rest in Soil From All The Allied Nations, From Every State And Dependency Of Our Country, From The Bloody Angle Of Gettysburg And From The Arc De Triomphe Of France.
“On Fames Eternal Camping-Ground Their Silent Tents Are Spread, And Glory Guards With Solemn Round The Bivouac Of The Dead.”